It's a family affair
Mandeep & Balwinder Phagura are cousins and joint Directors of Caremark (Wychavon & Wyre Forest) and have an office based in Bewdley
Mandeep explains the positives of going into business with family.
1. Why did you decide to go into business with a family member?
Having someone that I could trust and rely on was the most important factor for me.
2. Have you ever worked together before? If so, in what industry?
During our childhood, we would spend our holidays and weekends working in my father’s auto centre. This sort of set the pattern for the way life was with our family. We were always there to help each other out, whether it was home renovation or just providing a lift somewhere. But then that’s family – always working together one way or another.
3. How do you divide the work between yourselves?
Well, to start off with we agreed that I would work full time and Bal would work part time while the business grew and developed. So I have been trusted with the day-to-day running of the business and Bal with recruitment and administration, but we both help out where needed.
4. What do you think are the biggest benefits of working with family?
Probably having that reliable support structure and knowing each other’s strengths and weaknesses which helps us operate more efficiently.
5. Do you think there are any negative aspects to working with family?
Sometimes we find that we are both unavailable because of family functions. Other than that, it just works.
6. What do you like most about working with family?
For me it is the support flexibility, plus working with someone that you know, like and can trust.
7. What advice would you give to others thinking of going into business with their family?
The saying ‘never go into business with your family’ shouldn’t put you off. You should think about the positive benefits that come with working with family instead of focusing on the negative. If you both want the same thing and your both willing to work for it as agreed, then who better to go into business with than someone you have known your whole life?
8. What do you do to relax?
I enjoy going to the gym and spending time with friends and family. Bal’s also a family man, so spending time with his kids is very important to him.