Alistair has sights set on the big time

Alistair Hoy has enjoyed a phenomenal first year as a ChipsAway franchise owner

A great deal can happen in a year, as ChipsAway franchise owner Alistair Hoy can testify. Last year, Alistair opened a ChipsAway CarCare Centre (a fixed-base workshop) just six months after his initial business launch as a ‘man and a van’ operation, in line with his original business plan.

In January, he took on his first employee to help cope with escalating demand, then in July, when he hit £10,000 per month turnover, Alistair decided to take on a second employee – and all this before reaching his first year milestone!

“I had big plans for my ChipsAway business from the start,” Alistair confirms. “Now there are three of us in the team, the next step is to increase turnover to £20,000 per month. It’s a challenging target, but I confidently expect to achieve a £250,000 turnover business within the coming year.”


Alistair’s previous background was in sales and marketing, in which he had held senior roles in companies operating in the USA and Asia. However, he was never interested in downsizing to a small owner operator business in the long-term. On the other hand, neither was he in a position to invest up to £200,000 in one of the major franchise brands. Therefore, he had looked around for a franchise with the potential to grow into a sizeable business. ChipsAway emerged as the clear choice, offering a scaleable business model, but also a growing brand presence in the marketplace.

Since he launched his franchise, Alistair has recognised that in order to build his ChipsAway business, he first needed to understand it inside and out. His comprehensive initial training and first months out on the road in a fully equipped mobile ChipsAway workshop not only gave him the necessary technical skills to repair minor automotive paintwork damage, but also provided an insight into customer perceptions and demands.

“Owners of fast food franchises don’t invest in order to flip burgers or cook pizzas, they invest to develop a business and make profit, but first they roll their sleeves up and learn what their employees will be required to do,” he explains. “I’ve taken the same approach to my ChipsAway business. As I take on more employees, I plan to do less and less painting, focusing instead on business development. Currently, I spend 40 per cent of my time on marketing and business development, with the other 60 per cent doing repairs. I expect that balance to change over the next year – in order to achieve turnover of £1,000 per day, you have to be marketing your business strongly and consistently, so that has to be my priority going forward.”

With a ChipsAway CarCare Centre and two technicians, Alistair can now repair many more vehicles per hour.

“Taking on a couple of employees means you can repair up to four cars at a time, preparing one vehicle while another is drying, with each member of the team helping the other,” he explains.

Alistair confirms that his decision to join ChipsAway was definitely the right one. “A successful business doesn’t just happen when you buy a franchise,” he observes. “You have to have passion for what you do, be prepared to work at it and believe in yourself. The other half of the equation is a switched on, committed franchisor with a vision for the brand.

“The ChipsAway management team is close to its franchise owners and understands what we need. When you’re growing your business they will do everything they can to support you – and that makes a real difference.”

In Alistair’s view, ChipsAway is really getting it right with its strong emphasis on customer marketing and continued investment in TV advertising.

“Although the company has been established in the UK for almost 17 years, it feels as though I’ve got in on something that’s only just beginning,” he says. “Brand awareness is growing fast and so is market share – it’s an exciting time to be part of the ChipsAway success story!”

Reported by Rachael Lowe