10 reasons to franchise your business
Do you have a successful business that you would like to expand? Currently over 1,500 companies in the UK are using franchising as a route to business growth, and your business could be suited to taking advantage of this proven methodology too. Here are 10 advantages that franchising provides over direct expansion
1. Get the edge on competitionCustomers are often attracted to a new idea and will stay with a brand if the product or service is as good as, or better than, that supplied by their previous provider. By quickly expanding into new geographical areas, you are well placed, providing your product or service is good enough, to take your competitors' customers and keep them.
2. Improved profitabilityReturn on investment is likely to be higher for a business that has opted to expand through franchising. This is because less capital is employed and the franchisor's profits are generated on a much lower capital investment. So although the revenue received from franchised units is logically less than from 100 per cent company-owned outlets, a higher percentage of the revenue is actual profit.
3. Faster national expansionFranchising often enables companies with one or a few locations to quickly establish a national presence within a few years, achieving a rate of network growth, which would be inconceivable through company-funded development. The overheads and expenses associated with opening company-owned outlets are replaced by the franchise recruitment, training and launch assistance at a lower cost.
4. Better motivated operatorsBy deciding to franchise your growing business, you are able to benefit from the franchise owners' ambition, energy and commitment to the business and its standards.
Franchise owners are more motivated and effective than a salaried manager, because they have a vested interest within the business.
5. Knowledge from franchise ownersWhen you expand your business into new areas it is essential for you to conduct extensive research. However, when you expand through franchising the responsibility for evaluating a new territory is passed on to franchise owners. They may already possess local business knowledge and by using their expertise you have a clearer insight into the local market. This practice is particularly useful when expanding into foreign markets.
6. Effective quality controlsFranchising is all about following a system. As all of your franchise owners are following the same model, customers throughout the network should receive the same high quality service, irrespective of location. That way the customers will always know what to expect from your brand and that encourages loyalty.
7. Rationalises managementRunning a franchise system requires less management than a company-owned chain of outlets, since hiring, training, motivating and retaining competent staff are all functions handled by the franchise owner, not the franchisor.
This means you can get a better edge on competitors unable to operate with a compact management database because they need to spend more on this element.
8. Marketing powerAs your network develops, all of your outlets can benefit from the group's marketing initiatives, at both a regional and national level. A positive network spirit will encourage franchise owners to help each other through referrals as your customers become increasingly familiar with your brand, expanding on a national level.
9. Group purchasing strengthCentralised buying enables your entire network to benefit from volume discounts that an independent trader is unable to obtain. This means franchised outlets are in a better position to offer competitive prices, which will help to increase your market share.
10. A dedicated distribution networkIf you are a manufacturer or service provider, establishing the sales function of your business as a franchise operation provides you with a distribution network entirely focused on the supply of your products or service to customers.
Get in touch with Franchise Development Services (FDS):
Please complete the short form below to request more information from Franchise Development Services (FDS). This form will register your details with The Franchise Magazine. If you have already registered, just enter your details below and we will log you in.
Please note that we do not recommend or endorse any opportunity featured on this site and suggest that you seek independent financial advice before investing in any franchise or business opportunity.