Originally founded in the USA in 1985, Subway is now one of the largest franchise food chains in the world.
Subway restaurants sell customised submarine sandwiches, as well as a range of drinks. Each sandwich is made using freshly baked breads and customers can chose their fillings from a range of ingredients including meats, cheeses and vegetables and topped off with unique selection of sauces.
As well as full training and support, Subway provides:
- Access to formulas and operational systems
- Store design and equipment ordering guidance
- Training programme
- Operation manual
- Representative on-site during opening
- Periodic evaluation and ongoing support
- Informative publications
Ideal franchise owner profile
Subway is looking for franchise owners who have the skills and experience needed to run a successful restaurant.
The Subway franchise owner is responsible for:
- Initial franchise fee
- Finding locations
- Leasehold improvements and equipment
- Hiring employees and operating restaurants
- Paying eight per cent royalty to the company and a fee into the advertising fund
Your complete investment will depend on your location, size and extent of renovations to the premise required. The following estimated costs represent a wide range of possible locations throughout the world:
Lower cost – US$80,000
Moderate cost – US$150,000
Higher cost – US$310,000
There are traditional and non-traditional locations for Subway franchises. Historically, the non-traditional locals have cost less. It is important to note that the offering circular, or disclosure documents for various countries are available for more definitive costs.