Sign up to the newsletter

Auditel franchise owner completes Italian Marathon

Auditel franchise owner Carl Windsor has completed the 2010 Italian Marathon to raise money for the Neuroblastoma Society. Windsor, who ran the Marathon alongside his friend Ken Allan, has already raised £800 for the charity and is on target to achieve his aim of donating £1000 to the cause.

Windsor said: “The main reason my Squash colleague, Ken and I decided to run the Italian Marathon was that it gave us the opportunity to combine a European driving holiday with a visit to the home of Italian exotica; Ferrari, Lamborghini, Maserati and Zonda. This was the 23rd Italian Marathon and a memorial to the late, great, Enzo Ferrari, founder of Ferrari who was an athlete before becoming a motor racing legend.

“We decided to choose the Neuroblastoma Society as the charity to support, after a meeting with a colleague, Tori Oldridge, of Bounce PR. Neuroblastoma is a rare and aggressive form of childhood cancer. This charity is very close to Tori’s heart as it was set up by her parents after her younger brother died of the disease.”

Around 3000 people participated on the day, which included a Skating Marathon, Wheelchair Marathon, and a half and full marathon. Windsor added: “As daylight broke we found ourselves outside the Ferrari factory gates. The weather was fine and dry although chilly first thing. It was expected to be sunny and around 18 to 20 degrees during the event.

“At the half marathon stage things were looking good with a time of one hour 55 minutes, all the refreshment stops along the way (every 5km) being fully stocked with water, juices, fruits and other goodies which meant that everyone was fully charged and rehydrated – the Italian hospitality never failing.

“After 38 kilometers, things began to get a little difficult, our legs began to cramp up quite severely. This meant having to adopt a strange ritual of stopping and squatting down for a few moments and then jogging a little, before having to repeat the same procedure again. The final two or three miles were excruciating, but we certainly were not going to give up at this stage. The Italian crowds had turned out in their thousands all along the route to cheer us on and were doing a sterling job at this point.”

Windsor and Allan crossed the finishing line in Carpi town centre and were absolutely exhausted but elated. Windsor concluded: “My time was four hours and nine minutes and Ken, four hours 25 minutes. With no injuries and hardly a blister between us, but just very tired and aching joints.”


Back to news